Stormy Seascape Vintage Style

Ocean watercolor painting Old Masters style

In eager anticipation of a future trip to see William Turner's exhibition, that is taking place this Summer at the De Yong Museum in San Francisco; I've decided to create my own vintage style seascape painting:


In this artwork I followed not only good traditions of Old Masters of the British School; but also allowed myself to apply some fast brushstrokes in Impressionistic style.

Pretty much whole painting was completed in a dry brush technique when I used a very hard bristles (two size brushes), creating layer after layer to achieve the deep sea rough waters, the rocky mountains, and dramatic skies.

A lonely sailboat heading back to the harbor to escape the upcoming storm, The shore mountains are still lit by the sun in some places, but very soon, all will turn dark from the shadows of the clouds and those powerful ocean waves.

An interesting mysterious story:
When I finished the painting, I noticed a smiley face in the clouds. I left it there, thinking, "it is probably William Turner, looking at my art and saying: Good Job Irina!! Well Done!!"
:)



www.artirina.com



Popular Posts