Watercolor Iris Garden

realism in watercolor

This 16"'x20" Iris Flowers painting was a pure joy to create. I received commission request from a client to paint this garden from multiple photographs. Her husband grows gorgeous iris flowers of many kinds in his garden. My client wanted to place some of them into one painting. 

First, I have created a few sketches:


After the composition and sketches were approved, I started painting:

I have used wet-on-wet technique for the background wash, yet leaving the leaves of the iris flowers untouched. Later I painted them, one at the time, to give them more definition.

Painting flowers was truly fun. I had to incorporate the photo-references of blue iris, purple iris, and yellow iris flowers into one little garden that fits 16"x20" window of the Arches Cold pressed watercolor paper. 

I also documented stages of the painting and later on created a mini movie with step-by-step creation of these Iris Flowers Garden:


My client was very happy with the results; and, she loved the original painting when it finally arrived in the mail.

But, as I usually like a little more than just one painting creation, I've also created a few designs with these Iris Flowers for Thank-You Cards, Birthday Cards and just Notecards with these sweet little flowers.
My Cards Gallery is now in full bloom with these and other iris flowers.

Popular Posts